Chicken with Mustard & Leeks
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
A savory mustard coating keeps the chicken moist; threads of carrot and leek add color. Make it a meal: Garlic-Rosemary Mushrooms and roasted red potatoes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (1 pound total), trimmed
- 4 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Open the papillotes and place a chicken breast in the center on one half of each opened paper heart. Spread mustard evenly over chicken breasts. Distribute leeks, carrots and thyme over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 172 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 279 mg sodium; 481 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 1993