Chicken with Mustard & Leeks
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
A savory mustard coating keeps the chicken moist; threads of carrot and leek add color. Make it a meal: Garlic-Rosemary Mushrooms and roasted red potatoes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (1 pound total), trimmed
- 4 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Open the papillotes and place a chicken breast in the center on one half of each opened paper heart. Spread mustard evenly over chicken breasts. Distribute leeks, carrots and thyme over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 172 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 279 mg sodium; 481 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993