Chicken with Mustard & Leeks
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
A savory mustard coating keeps the chicken moist; threads of carrot and leek add color. Make it a meal: Garlic-Rosemary Mushrooms and roasted red potatoes.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, (1 pound total), trimmed
- 4 teaspoons coarse-grained mustard
- 2 leeks, trimmed, cleaned and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 1/2-inch-long julienne strips
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil for papillotes (see Tip).
- Open the papillotes and place a chicken breast in the center on one half of each opened paper heart. Spread mustard evenly over chicken breasts. Distribute leeks, carrots and thyme over the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Seal the packages and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer the packages to individual plates; let each diner open his or her own package.
Tips & Notes
- To prepare a papillote: Cut a piece of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches. Fold in half an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut into a half-heart shape as you would a Valentine.
Per serving: 172 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 279 mg sodium; 481 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (119% daily value), Selenium (30% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- March/April 1993