Chicken with Leek & Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: March 1998
Brandy, mushrooms and leek add a sophisticated touch to ordinary chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add leek and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes more. Add brandy and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the mushroom mixture, chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with salt, pepper and lemon juice; spoon over the chicken. Garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 225 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998