Chicken with Leek & Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: March 1998
Brandy, mushrooms and leek add a sophisticated touch to ordinary chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add leek and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes more. Add brandy and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the mushroom mixture, chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with salt, pepper and lemon juice; spoon over the chicken. Garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 225 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March 1998