Chicken with Leek & Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: March 1998
Brandy, mushrooms and leek add a sophisticated touch to ordinary chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add leek and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes more. Add brandy and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the mushroom mixture, chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with salt, pepper and lemon juice; spoon over the chicken. Garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 225 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- March 1998