Chicken with Leek & Mushroom Sauce
From EatingWell: March 1998
Brandy, mushrooms and leek add a sophisticated touch to ordinary chicken breasts.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced leek
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear until well browned on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and tent with foil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add leek and thyme. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 minutes more. Add brandy and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl. Whisk broth and flour in a small bowl. Add to the pan. Cook, whisking, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Return the mushroom mixture, chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan; reduce heat to low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a warmed platter. Season sauce with salt, pepper and lemon juice; spoon over the chicken. Garnish with parsley.
Per serving: 225 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 271 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March 1998