Chicken with Green Olives & Prunes
The delicious combination of sweet, tart and savory flavors makes a simple dish the star of a weeknight meal. Serve with whole-wheat couscous, to soak up the tasty sauce.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives, such as Spanish, Cerignola or cracked green
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted prunes, (dried plums)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add broth and vinegar to the pan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Add olives, prunes and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique