Chicken with Green Olives & Prunes
The delicious combination of sweet, tart and savory flavors makes a simple dish the star of a weeknight meal. Serve with whole-wheat couscous, to soak up the tasty sauce.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives, such as Spanish, Cerignola or cracked green
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted prunes, (dried plums)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Add broth and vinegar to the pan; bring to a simmer, stirring. Add olives, prunes and pepper; reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate. Spoon sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 1 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique