Chicken with Grapes & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Grapes often symbolize a plentiful harvest so this dish that joins red grapes, mushrooms and fresh tarragon with lean chicken breasts is a lovely way to celebrate fall.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, sliced in half
- 4 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches each. Fold each in half to get an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut it into a half-heart shape as you would to make a valentine. This is a papillote.
- Open the papillotes and place a chicken breast on one half of each opened paper (or foil) heart. Distribute grapes, mushrooms and tarragon over the chicken. Spoon a little brandy over the top and season with salt and pepper. Fold the other half of the heart over to cover the food and bring the edges together. Seal the package by crimping the cut edges together in a series of small, neat folds. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer to plates and let diners open their own packages.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Parchment paper or foil
Per serving: 216 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993