Chicken with Grapes & Mushrooms
From EatingWell: March/April 1993
Grapes often symbolize a plentiful harvest so this dish that joins red grapes, mushrooms and fresh tarragon with lean chicken breasts is a lovely way to celebrate fall.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, (1-1 1/4 pounds total), trimmed
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, sliced in half
- 4 ounces mushrooms, trimmed and sliced (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut 4 pieces of parchment paper or foil about 12 inches by 16 inches each. Fold each in half to get an 8-by-12-inch rectangle, then cut it into a half-heart shape as you would to make a valentine. This is a papillote.
- Open the papillotes and place a chicken breast on one half of each opened paper (or foil) heart. Distribute grapes, mushrooms and tarragon over the chicken. Spoon a little brandy over the top and season with salt and pepper. Fold the other half of the heart over to cover the food and bring the edges together. Seal the package by crimping the cut edges together in a series of small, neat folds. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake until the packages are puffed, 10 to 12 minutes. (You may want to open one package to check that the chicken is no longer pink inside.) Transfer to plates and let diners open their own packages.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: Parchment paper or foil
Per serving: 216 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 531 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)