Chicken with Artichokes & Olives
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Serve this saucy artichoke-and-olive studded stew over barley.
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total), skin and fat removed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (2 ounces), pitted if desired
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until well browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and deep golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and olives and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in wine and thyme; cook until wine has nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, artichoke hearts and the browned chicken and return to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, about 30 minutes.
- With tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to high and boil the sauce, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 116 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 4 g fiber; 687 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (32% daily value), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1996