Chicken with Artichokes & Olives
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Serve this saucy artichoke-and-olive studded stew over barley.
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total), skin and fat removed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (2 ounces), pitted if desired
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until well browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and deep golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and olives and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in wine and thyme; cook until wine has nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, artichoke hearts and the browned chicken and return to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, about 30 minutes.
- With tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to high and boil the sauce, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 116 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 4 g fiber; 687 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (32% daily value), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1996