Chicken with Artichokes & Olives
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Serve this saucy artichoke-and-olive studded stew over barley.
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total), skin and fat removed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (2 ounces), pitted if desired
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until well browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and deep golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and olives and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in wine and thyme; cook until wine has nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, artichoke hearts and the browned chicken and return to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, about 30 minutes.
- With tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to high and boil the sauce, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 116 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 4 g fiber; 687 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (32% daily value), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1996