Chicken with Artichokes & Olives
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Serve this saucy artichoke-and-olive studded stew over barley.
- 8 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds total), skin and fat removed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Spanish onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (2 ounces), pitted if desired
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and sliced
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a Dutch oven or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until well browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onions and sugar; cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and deep golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and olives and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in wine and thyme; cook until wine has nearly evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, artichoke hearts and the browned chicken and return to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, about 30 minutes.
- With tongs, transfer the chicken to a platter and keep warm. Increase the heat to high and boil the sauce, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 421 calories; 20 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 116 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 36 g protein; 4 g fiber; 687 mg sodium; 336 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (32% daily value), Zinc (22% dv), Vitamin C (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1996