Chicken, Mushroom & Wild Rice Casserole
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
In Minnesota, chicken, mushrooms and wild rice are often bound together in a casserole with cream of mushroom soup. We forgo the sodium-rich canned soup and make a light, creamy sauce that gets depth of flavor from dry sherry and Parmesan cheese. If you already have cooked chicken, use 4 cups and skip Step 2.
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, chopped and rinsed
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup dry sherry (see Note)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups frozen French-cut green beans
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Combine water and rice in a small heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place chicken in a large skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let cool.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large high-sided skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until their liquid has been released and has evaporated, 12 to 14 minutes. Add sherry, increase heat to high and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Add milk; bring to a simmer and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Stir in Parmesan, sour cream, parsley, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Spread the rice in an even layer in the prepared baking dish. Top with the chicken, then green beans. Pour the sauce over the top and spread evenly. Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake the casserole until it is bubbling and the almonds are golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month (defrost in the refrigerator for 2 days before baking). Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, then bake at 350°F for about 1 hour.
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. “Cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets can be high in sodium. Instead, get dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 371 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 7 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 34 g protein; 4 g fiber; 469 mg sodium; 796 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Calcium & Magnesium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (18% dv), Zinc (17% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2010