Chicken Waldorf Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Leftover cooked chicken makes this chicken Waldorf salad, loaded with apples, grapes, celery and walnuts, a snap to assemble. If you use rotisserie chicken, keep in mind that it’s salty and omit the salt in the dressing. Serve over watercress, with a chunk of whole-grain baguette.
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (see Tips)
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 1 cup halved red or green grapes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted if desired (see Tips), divided
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken, apple, grapes, celery and 1/4 cup walnuts. Stir to coat well. Serve topped with the remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: If you want cooked chicken in a hurry, the easiest way to cook it is to poach it. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken)
- To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 408 mg sodium; 537 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2011