Chicken Waldorf Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2011
Leftover cooked chicken makes this chicken Waldorf salad, loaded with apples, grapes, celery and walnuts, a snap to assemble. If you use rotisserie chicken, keep in mind that it’s salty and omit the salt in the dressing. Serve over watercress, with a chunk of whole-grain baguette.
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (see Tips)
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 1 cup halved red or green grapes
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted if desired (see Tips), divided
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl. Add chicken, apple, grapes, celery and 1/4 cup walnuts. Stir to coat well. Serve topped with the remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Tips: If you want cooked chicken in a hurry, the easiest way to cook it is to poach it. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken)
- To toast chopped, small or sliced nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 356 calories; 16 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 408 mg sodium; 537 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium, Potassium & Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 carbohydrate, 4 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2011