Chicken & Tomatillo Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Tomatillo-sauced chicken is a tasty filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Tomatillo Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine chicken, beer, oregano and bay leaf in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until chicken is no longer pink inside, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in liquid. Drain, discard bay leaf, and shred chicken (you should have about 2 cups).
- Combine the chicken and Tomatillo Sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 73 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 120 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- January/February 1997