Chicken & Tomatillo Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Tomatillo-sauced chicken is a tasty filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Tomatillo Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine chicken, beer, oregano and bay leaf in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until chicken is no longer pink inside, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in liquid. Drain, discard bay leaf, and shred chicken (you should have about 2 cups).
- Combine the chicken and Tomatillo Sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 73 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 120 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 1997