Chicken & Tomatillo Filling
From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Tomatillo-sauced chicken is a tasty filling for tamales, tacos or enchiladas.
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 12-ounce bottle beer, preferably Mexican
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Tomatillo Sauce, (recipe follows)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine chicken, beer, oregano and bay leaf in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, covered, until chicken is no longer pink inside, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in liquid. Drain, discard bay leaf, and shred chicken (you should have about 2 cups).
- Combine the chicken and Tomatillo Sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 73 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 0 g fiber; 71 mg sodium; 120 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- January/February 1997