Chicken Thighs with Leeks & Shiitakes
Give chicken thighs a quick saute and finish them with a tarragon-scented sauce. This dish goes well with roasted new potatoes and Lemon Lovers' Asparagus. Look for presliced shiitakes to make preparation of this dish even faster.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, diced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle all over with flour. Reserve the excess flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, leek and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Add broth, wine and salt and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tarragon.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broths in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces and stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them drying out.
Per serving: 330 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 256 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (43% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day
- Cooking for 2