Chicken Thighs with Leeks & Shiitakes
Give chicken thighs a quick saute and finish them with a tarragon-scented sauce. This dish goes well with roasted new potatoes and Lemon Lovers' Asparagus. Look for presliced shiitakes to make preparation of this dish even faster.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, diced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle all over with flour. Reserve the excess flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, leek and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Add broth, wine and salt and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tarragon.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broths in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces and stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them drying out.
Per serving: 330 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 256 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (43% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Valentine's Day
- Cooking for 2
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique