Chicken Thighs with Leeks & Shiitakes
Give chicken thighs a quick saute and finish them with a tarragon-scented sauce. This dish goes well with roasted new potatoes and Lemon Lovers' Asparagus. Look for presliced shiitakes to make preparation of this dish even faster.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, diced
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, (see Tips for Two)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle all over with flour. Reserve the excess flour.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, 4 to 6 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, leek and mushrooms to the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle the reserved flour over the vegetables and stir to coat. Add broth, wine and salt and bring to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer, turning the chicken occasionally, until it is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tarragon.
Tips & Notes
- Tips for Two: Leftover canned broth keeps for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in your freezer. Leftover broths in aseptic packages keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator. Add to soups, sauces and stews; use for cooking rice and grains; add a little when reheating leftovers to prevent them drying out.
Per serving: 330 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 77 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 256 mg sodium; 329 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (43% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Vitamin A & Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Valentine's Day
- Cooking for 2
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique