Grilled Chicken Thighs with Cucumber-Mint Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
The cumin-and-coriander rub in this grilled chicken thigh recipe pairs deliciously with a minty cucumber salad. Chicken thighs can vary widely in size. Ask your butcher to hand-select 4 large thighs for this recipe. If you can only find small chicken thighs, cook 2 per person and reduce the grill time slightly.
- 2 cups diced seeded English cucumber (about 1 large)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Broiler Variation.)
- Combine cucumber, mint, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until it becomes a paste. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, coriander and cumin. Rub the mixture on both sides of each chicken thigh.
- Grill the chicken thighs until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the cucumber salad.
Tips & Notes
- Broiler Variation: Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray and place the seasoned chicken thighs on it. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Per serving: 325 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 12 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013