Grilled Chicken Thighs with Cucumber-Mint Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
The cumin-and-coriander rub in this grilled chicken thigh recipe pairs deliciously with a minty cucumber salad. Chicken thighs can vary widely in size. Ask your butcher to hand-select 4 large thighs for this recipe. If you can only find small chicken thighs, cook 2 per person and reduce the grill time slightly.
- 2 cups diced seeded English cucumber (about 1 large)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Broiler Variation.)
- Combine cucumber, mint, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until it becomes a paste. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, coriander and cumin. Rub the mixture on both sides of each chicken thigh.
- Grill the chicken thighs until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the cucumber salad.
Tips & Notes
- Broiler Variation: Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray and place the seasoned chicken thighs on it. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Per serving: 325 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 12 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2013