Grilled Chicken Thighs with Cucumber-Mint Salad
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
The cumin-and-coriander rub in this grilled chicken thigh recipe pairs deliciously with a minty cucumber salad. Chicken thighs can vary widely in size. Ask your butcher to hand-select 4 large thighs for this recipe. If you can only find small chicken thighs, cook 2 per person and reduce the grill time slightly.
- 2 cups diced seeded English cucumber (about 1 large)
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- Preheat grill to medium-high. (No grill? See Broiler Variation.)
- Combine cucumber, mint, onion, 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mash garlic and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a small bowl until it becomes a paste. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, coriander and cumin. Rub the mixture on both sides of each chicken thigh.
- Grill the chicken thighs until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with the cucumber salad.
Tips & Notes
- Broiler Variation: Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray and place the seasoned chicken thighs on it. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until no longer pink in the middle, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Per serving: 325 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 12 g mono); 94 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 521 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (20% daily value), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2013