Chicken Thighs with Couscous & Kale
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
One-pot meals, like this all-in-one chicken thigh, kale and Israeli couscous recipe, are perfect for nights when you want to keep cleanup to a minimum. Look for Israeli couscous—small pearl-shaped pasta made from semolina flour—near other Middle Eastern dry goods in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty-foods stores.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups very thinly sliced kale
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine thyme, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with half of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in couscous and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the couscous is lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add kale and the remaining spice mixture; cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and any accumulated juice from the chicken, then nestle the chicken into the couscous. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the couscous is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 414 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Iron (23% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013