Chicken Thighs with Couscous & Kale
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
One-pot meals, like this all-in-one chicken thigh, kale and Israeli couscous recipe, are perfect for nights when you want to keep cleanup to a minimum. Look for Israeli couscous—small pearl-shaped pasta made from semolina flour—near other Middle Eastern dry goods in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty-foods stores.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups very thinly sliced kale
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine thyme, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with half of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in couscous and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the couscous is lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add kale and the remaining spice mixture; cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and any accumulated juice from the chicken, then nestle the chicken into the couscous. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the couscous is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 414 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Iron (23% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013