Chicken Thighs with Couscous & Kale
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
One-pot meals, like this all-in-one chicken thigh, kale and Israeli couscous recipe, are perfect for nights when you want to keep cleanup to a minimum. Look for Israeli couscous—small pearl-shaped pasta made from semolina flour—near other Middle Eastern dry goods in well-stocked supermarkets or specialty-foods stores.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups very thinly sliced kale
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine thyme, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with half of the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, heavy skillet, such as cast-iron, over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and onion to the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in couscous and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the couscous is lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add kale and the remaining spice mixture; cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in broth and any accumulated juice from the chicken, then nestle the chicken into the couscous. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the couscous is tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 414 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 517 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (207% daily value), Vitamin C (140% dv), Iron (23% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- November/December 2013