Chicken Tacos with Charred Tomatoes
Charring tomatoes in a hot, dry skillet makes them smoky and flavorful; in combination with fresh herbs and spices, they elevate this dish from “everyday” to “ta-da!” Serve the tacos with reduced-fat sour cream.
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, plus lime wedges for garnish
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 6 small corn tortillas, heated (see Tip)
- Heat a medium skillet over high heat until very hot. Add tomatoes and cook, turning occasionally with tongs, until charred on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool slightly. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise; squeeze to discard seeds. Remove cores and chop the remaining pulp and skin.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over high heat until very hot. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned and no longer pink in the middle, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add lime juice, the chicken and tomatoes. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and scallions. Divide the chicken mixture among tortillas. Serve with lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Wrap tortillas in barely damp paper towels and microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 297 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 2 g fiber; 415 mg sodium; 463 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium & Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique