Chicken Taco Bowls for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
In this chicken taco bowl recipe we use the underside of a muffin tin as a mold to bake cute little taco bowls. Then we fill them up with a zesty chicken filling and taco fixings.
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup prepared green salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced ripe black olives
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wrap tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel) and microwave on High until steamed, 30 to 45 seconds. Coat each side of the tortillas with cooking spray. Turn a 12-cup muffin tin upside down. Nestle each tortilla in the space between 4 cups to form a “bowl.” Bake until firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 3 minutes. Add salsa and cook, stirring frequently, until the salsa is bubbling and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat; cover to keep warm.
- Fill each tortilla bowl with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon each cheese and sour cream, 2 tablespoons each lettuce and tomato and a few olives.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Warming tortillas prevents them from cracking and breaking. Here are three ways to warm your tortillas: In the oven: Wrap stacks of 8 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. On the stove: Turn a gas or electric burner on high. Using tongs, slide one tortilla at a time over the burner for a few seconds, alternating sides, until it’s softened and beginning to char. Cover tortillas to keep warm. In the microwave: Wrap a stack of 8 tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel); microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 404 calories; 21 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2013