Chicken Taco Bowls for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
In this chicken taco bowl recipe we use the underside of a muffin tin as a mold to bake cute little taco bowls. Then we fill them up with a zesty chicken filling and taco fixings.
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup prepared green salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced ripe black olives
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wrap tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel) and microwave on High until steamed, 30 to 45 seconds. Coat each side of the tortillas with cooking spray. Turn a 12-cup muffin tin upside down. Nestle each tortilla in the space between 4 cups to form a “bowl.” Bake until firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 3 minutes. Add salsa and cook, stirring frequently, until the salsa is bubbling and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat; cover to keep warm.
- Fill each tortilla bowl with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon each cheese and sour cream, 2 tablespoons each lettuce and tomato and a few olives.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Warming tortillas prevents them from cracking and breaking. Here are three ways to warm your tortillas: In the oven: Wrap stacks of 8 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. On the stove: Turn a gas or electric burner on high. Using tongs, slide one tortilla at a time over the burner for a few seconds, alternating sides, until it’s softened and beginning to char. Cover tortillas to keep warm. In the microwave: Wrap a stack of 8 tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel); microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 404 calories; 21 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2013