Chicken Taco Bowls for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
In this chicken taco bowl recipe we use the underside of a muffin tin as a mold to bake cute little taco bowls. Then we fill them up with a zesty chicken filling and taco fixings.
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 6 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup prepared green salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced lettuce
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sliced ripe black olives
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wrap tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel) and microwave on High until steamed, 30 to 45 seconds. Coat each side of the tortillas with cooking spray. Turn a 12-cup muffin tin upside down. Nestle each tortilla in the space between 4 cups to form a “bowl.” Bake until firm and beginning to brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, toss chicken with garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until it is no longer pink on the outside, about 3 minutes. Add salsa and cook, stirring frequently, until the salsa is bubbling and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 3 minutes more. Remove from the heat; cover to keep warm.
- Fill each tortilla bowl with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture. Top with 1 tablespoon each cheese and sour cream, 2 tablespoons each lettuce and tomato and a few olives.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Warming tortillas prevents them from cracking and breaking. Here are three ways to warm your tortillas: In the oven: Wrap stacks of 8 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. On the stove: Turn a gas or electric burner on high. Using tongs, slide one tortilla at a time over the burner for a few seconds, alternating sides, until it’s softened and beginning to char. Cover tortillas to keep warm. In the microwave: Wrap a stack of 8 tortillas in a barely damp, clean kitchen towel (or paper towel); microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds.
Per serving: 404 calories; 21 g fat (7 g sat, 9 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 708 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (37% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2013