Roast Chicken & Sweet Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Caramelized sweet potatoes and red onion are the bed for chicken thighs that cook up fast in a very hot oven—perfect for a quick healthy chicken dinner. Serve with a fall salad of mixed greens, sliced apples and blue cheese.
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 1/2-2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch wedges
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 450°F. Place a large rimmed baking sheet in the oven to preheat.
- Combine mustard, thyme, 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl; spread the mixture evenly on chicken.
- Toss sweet potatoes and onion in a bowl with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Carefully remove the baking sheet from the oven and spread the vegetables on it. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Return the pan to the oven and roast, stirring the vegetables once halfway through, until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into a chicken thigh registers 165°F, 30 to 35 minutes.
Per serving: 408 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 86 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 554 mg sodium; 636 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (449% daily value), Vitamin C (44% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- September/October 2012