Herb-Crusted Chicken with Fresh Strawberry Relish
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This roasted chicken recipe with fresh strawberry relish couldn’t be any simpler to make. The chicken is rubbed with herbs, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. The relish, made with strawberries, lime zest, sugar and vinegar, is tart, sweet and fruity and it looks beautiful.
1-2 pieces chicken & about 1/3 cup relish each
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chicken in a bowl with oil, oregano, 1 tablespoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in a small-to-medium roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the thighs.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, lime zest, sugar, vinegar, the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives and the remaining pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature until the chicken is done.
- Just before serving, taste the strawberry relish and adjust the amount of sugar, vinegar and/or salt. Serve the chicken with the relish.
Per serving: 173 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2013