Herb-Crusted Chicken with Fresh Strawberry Relish
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This roasted chicken recipe with fresh strawberry relish couldn’t be any simpler to make. The chicken is rubbed with herbs, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. The relish, made with strawberries, lime zest, sugar and vinegar, is tart, sweet and fruity and it looks beautiful.
1-2 pieces chicken & about 1/3 cup relish each
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chicken in a bowl with oil, oregano, 1 tablespoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in a small-to-medium roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the thighs.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, lime zest, sugar, vinegar, the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives and the remaining pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature until the chicken is done.
- Just before serving, taste the strawberry relish and adjust the amount of sugar, vinegar and/or salt. Serve the chicken with the relish.
Per serving: 173 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 2013