Herb-Crusted Chicken with Fresh Strawberry Relish
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This roasted chicken recipe with fresh strawberry relish couldn’t be any simpler to make. The chicken is rubbed with herbs, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. The relish, made with strawberries, lime zest, sugar and vinegar, is tart, sweet and fruity and it looks beautiful.
1-2 pieces chicken & about 1/3 cup relish each
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chicken in a bowl with oil, oregano, 1 tablespoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in a small-to-medium roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the thighs.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, lime zest, sugar, vinegar, the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives and the remaining pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature until the chicken is done.
- Just before serving, taste the strawberry relish and adjust the amount of sugar, vinegar and/or salt. Serve the chicken with the relish.
Per serving: 173 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013