Herb-Crusted Chicken with Fresh Strawberry Relish
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This roasted chicken recipe with fresh strawberry relish couldn’t be any simpler to make. The chicken is rubbed with herbs, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. The relish, made with strawberries, lime zest, sugar and vinegar, is tart, sweet and fruity and it looks beautiful.
1-2 pieces chicken & about 1/3 cup relish each
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chicken in a bowl with oil, oregano, 1 tablespoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in a small-to-medium roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the thighs.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, lime zest, sugar, vinegar, the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives and the remaining pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature until the chicken is done.
- Just before serving, taste the strawberry relish and adjust the amount of sugar, vinegar and/or salt. Serve the chicken with the relish.
Per serving: 173 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2013