Herb-Crusted Chicken with Fresh Strawberry Relish
From EatingWell: May/June 2013
This roasted chicken recipe with fresh strawberry relish couldn’t be any simpler to make. The chicken is rubbed with herbs, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven. The relish, made with strawberries, lime zest, sugar and vinegar, is tart, sweet and fruity and it looks beautiful.
1-2 pieces chicken & about 1/3 cup relish each
- 4 large or 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus a pinch, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus a pinch, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, or more to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chicken in a bowl with oil, oregano, 1 tablespoon chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in a small-to-medium roasting pan.
- Roast the chicken until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part without touching bone registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the size of the thighs.
- Meanwhile, combine strawberries, lime zest, sugar, vinegar, the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons chives and the remaining pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Let stand at room temperature until the chicken is done.
- Just before serving, taste the strawberry relish and adjust the amount of sugar, vinegar and/or salt. Serve the chicken with the relish.
Per serving: 173 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 49 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 2 g fiber; 374 mg sodium; 260 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (78% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- May/June 2013