Chicken Soup with Provençal Herbs
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Using dried beans instead of canned in this flavorful chicken soup results in a thicker soup with more complex flavor. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Leek & Gruyere Quiche with Cherry Clafoutis for dessert.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans and pick over, cover with water and set aside to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, carrots and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, wine , thyme, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Drain the beans and add to the pot; cook until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprigs before serving.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30 % dv), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1995