Chicken Soup with Provençal Herbs
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Using dried beans instead of canned in this flavorful chicken soup results in a thicker soup with more complex flavor. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Leek & Gruyere Quiche with Cherry Clafoutis for dessert.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans and pick over, cover with water and set aside to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, carrots and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, wine , thyme, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Drain the beans and add to the pot; cook until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprigs before serving.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30 % dv), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995