Chicken Soup with Provençal Herbs
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Using dried beans instead of canned in this flavorful chicken soup results in a thicker soup with more complex flavor. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Leek & Gruyere Quiche with Cherry Clafoutis for dessert.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans and pick over, cover with water and set aside to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, carrots and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, wine , thyme, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Drain the beans and add to the pot; cook until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprigs before serving.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30 % dv), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995