Chicken Soup with Provençal Herbs
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Using dried beans instead of canned in this flavorful chicken soup results in a thicker soup with more complex flavor. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Leek & Gruyere Quiche with Cherry Clafoutis for dessert.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans and pick over, cover with water and set aside to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, carrots and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, wine , thyme, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Drain the beans and add to the pot; cook until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprigs before serving.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30 % dv), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- January/February 1995