Chicken Soup with Provençal Herbs
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Using dried beans instead of canned in this flavorful chicken soup results in a thicker soup with more complex flavor. Make it a meal: Serve alongside Leek & Gruyere Quiche with Cherry Clafoutis for dessert.
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks, trimmed, washed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 6 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 6 new potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 cups Homemade Chicken Broth, (recipe follows) or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse beans and pick over, cover with water and set aside to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add leeks, carrots and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add broth, wine , thyme, rosemary and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Drain the beans and add to the pot; cook until the beans are soft, about 2 hours. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprigs before serving.
Per serving: 166 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 5 g fiber; 405 mg sodium; 372 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Vitamin C (30 % dv), Fiber (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1995