Chicken, Shrimp & Mango Salad
Shrimp, chicken and spinach are tossed with a lively mango dressing in this refreshing tropical dinner salad.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 small ripe mango, (about 12 ounces), diced (see Tip) and divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 8 ounces small shrimp, cooked, deveined and halved lengthwise
- Tear chicken into shreds with your fingers; refrigerate.
- Place 1/4 cup mango, lime zest and juice, oil, rum, jalapeño, mint, garlic and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine spinach, the reserved chicken, shrimp and the remaining diced mango in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 2) may be prepared up to 8 hours in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Tips: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To dice a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 206 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less