Chicken, Shrimp & Mango Salad
Shrimp, chicken and spinach are tossed with a lively mango dressing in this refreshing tropical dinner salad.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 small ripe mango, (about 12 ounces), diced (see Tip) and divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 8 ounces small shrimp, cooked, deveined and halved lengthwise
- Tear chicken into shreds with your fingers; refrigerate.
- Place 1/4 cup mango, lime zest and juice, oil, rum, jalapeño, mint, garlic and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine spinach, the reserved chicken, shrimp and the remaining diced mango in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 2) may be prepared up to 8 hours in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Tips: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To dice a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 206 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less