Chicken, Shrimp & Mango Salad
Shrimp, chicken and spinach are tossed with a lively mango dressing in this refreshing tropical dinner salad.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 small ripe mango, (about 12 ounces), diced (see Tip) and divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 8 ounces small shrimp, cooked, deveined and halved lengthwise
- Tear chicken into shreds with your fingers; refrigerate.
- Place 1/4 cup mango, lime zest and juice, oil, rum, jalapeño, mint, garlic and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine spinach, the reserved chicken, shrimp and the remaining diced mango in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 2) may be prepared up to 8 hours in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Tips: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To dice a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 206 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less