Chicken, Shrimp & Mango Salad
Shrimp, chicken and spinach are tossed with a lively mango dressing in this refreshing tropical dinner salad.
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and poached (see Tip)
- 1 small ripe mango, (about 12 ounces), diced (see Tip) and divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups fresh spinach, trimmed, washed and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 8 ounces small shrimp, cooked, deveined and halved lengthwise
- Tear chicken into shreds with your fingers; refrigerate.
- Place 1/4 cup mango, lime zest and juice, oil, rum, jalapeño, mint, garlic and salt in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Combine spinach, the reserved chicken, shrimp and the remaining diced mango in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss gently to combine. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The dressing (Step 2) may be prepared up to 8 hours in advance and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Tips: To poach chicken breasts: Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- To dice a mango:
- 1. Slice both ends off the mango, revealing the long, slender seed inside. Set the fruit upright on a work surface and remove the skin with a sharp knife.
- 2. With the seed perpendicular to you, slice the fruit from both sides of the seed, yielding two large pieces.
- 3. Turn the seed parallel to you and slice the two smaller pieces of fruit from each side.
- 4. Cut the fruit into the desired shape.
Per serving: 206 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 118 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 427 mg sodium; 470 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (67% daily value), Vitamin C (48% dv), Folate (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less