Chicken Shawarma for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern sandwich made with sliced seasoned meat. This recipe for two features chicken, along with a cucumber-yogurt sauce, fresh tomato and crunchy romaine lettuce.
- 1/2 cup shredded unpeeled English cucumber or peeled regular cucumber
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads or lavash
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Stir cucumber, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine garlic powder, curry powder, pepper and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in another medium bowl. Slice chicken breast crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; toss with the spice mixture to coat. Add oil and toss to combine.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, spread half the cucumber-yogurt sauce on each pita (or lavash) and top with half the chicken, tomato and lettuce. Fold like a taco (or roll closed, if using lavash).
Per serving: 376 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 606 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Magnesium (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012