Chicken Shawarma for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern sandwich made with sliced seasoned meat. This recipe for two features chicken, along with a cucumber-yogurt sauce, fresh tomato and crunchy romaine lettuce.
- 1/2 cup shredded unpeeled English cucumber or peeled regular cucumber
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 8-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads or lavash
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Stir cucumber, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine garlic powder, curry powder, pepper and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in another medium bowl. Slice chicken breast crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; toss with the spice mixture to coat. Add oil and toss to combine.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, spread half the cucumber-yogurt sauce on each pita (or lavash) and top with half the chicken, tomato and lettuce. Fold like a taco (or roll closed, if using lavash).
Per serving: 376 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 606 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Magnesium (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)