From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Shawarma is a Middle Eastern sandwich made with sliced seasoned meat. This version features chicken, along with a cucumber-yogurt sauce, fresh tomato and crunchy romaine lettuce.
- 1 cup shredded English cucumber
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads or lavash
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Stir cucumber, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine garlic powder, curry powder, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in another medium bowl. Slice chicken breast crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; toss with the spice mixture to coat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and toss to combine.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, spread 1/4 cup of the cucumber-yogurt sauce on a pita (or lavash) and top with one-fourth of the chicken, tomato and lettuce. Fold like a taco (or roll closed, if using lavash). Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Per serving: 376 calories; 14 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 606 mg sodium; 603 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Magnesium (20% dv), Iron & Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Zinc (16% dv), Folate (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012