Chicken Saute with Creamy Mushroom & Leek Sauce
Here is one simple technique that guarantees juicy results every time. First, pound the chicken: making it thinner ensures quick and even cooking. Next, dredge the chicken lightly in seasoned flour, which helps it turn deep golden brown when sauteed. After the chicken is cooked, deglaze the skillet with broth, wine or a little water to make a pan sauce. The liquid loosens the flavor-boosting browned bits from the bottom of the pan, making a tastier sauce.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (1-1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1/2 pound cremini, or baby bella mushrooms, wiped clean and thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
- 1 small leek, trimmed, washed (see Tip) and thinly sliced (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, or vermouth
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Trim visible fat from chicken breasts. Remove the tenders (the long thin flaps); reserve for another use (see Tip). Place trimmed chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound with a rolling pin, meat mallet or heavy skillet until flattened to an even thickness, about 1/2 inch. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow glass dish. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. (Discard any leftover flour.)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until well browned and no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms and leek to the pan; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until most of the moisture has evaporated and the mushrooms are beginning to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add wine (or vermouth) and deglaze, scraping up any browned bits, for about 1 minute. Mix broth and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add to the pan and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream and mustard; cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon over the chicken and sprinkle with parsley.
Tips & Notes
- To clean leeks: Trim and discard coarse green tops. Split leeks lengthwise with a sharp knife, beginning about 1 inch from the root end and cutting toward the green end. Leave root end attached. Swish leeks repeatedly in a basin of cold water to remove grit. Alternatively, trim roots and ragged tops. Slice leeks and place in plenty of water, then drain. Repeat a few times. The slices do not absorb water or lose flavor and the process is faster.
- Wrap and freeze the chicken tenders. When you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry--they are the perfect size. Remove the tough membrane with a sharp knife before cooking.
Per serving: 249 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 1 g fiber; 358 mg sodium; 632 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 632 mg potassium (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 3 1/2 very lean protein, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique