Chicken Sausage with Quick Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Sauerkraut from a can, pale and puckery, is no match for this a flavorful cabbage saute that goes well with savory chicken sausage. Serve this simple supper with assorted mustards and some toasted rye bread.
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably finely shredded
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar and salt and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add cider and caraway seeds; bring to a boil. Return the sausages to the pan, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sausages are heated through and cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 2222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl