Chicken Sausage with Quick Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Sauerkraut from a can, pale and puckery, is no match for this a flavorful cabbage saute that goes well with savory chicken sausage. Serve this simple supper with assorted mustards and some toasted rye bread.
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably finely shredded
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar and salt and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add cider and caraway seeds; bring to a boil. Return the sausages to the pan, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sausages are heated through and cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 2222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique