Chicken Sausage with Quick Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Sauerkraut from a can, pale and puckery, is no match for this a flavorful cabbage saute that goes well with savory chicken sausage. Serve this simple supper with assorted mustards and some toasted rye bread.
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably finely shredded
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar and salt and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add cider and caraway seeds; bring to a boil. Return the sausages to the pan, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sausages are heated through and cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 2222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry