Chicken Sausage with Quick Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Sauerkraut from a can, pale and puckery, is no match for this a flavorful cabbage saute that goes well with savory chicken sausage. Serve this simple supper with assorted mustards and some toasted rye bread.
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably finely shredded
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar and salt and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add cider and caraway seeds; bring to a boil. Return the sausages to the pan, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sausages are heated through and cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 2222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry