Chicken Sausage with Quick Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Sauerkraut from a can, pale and puckery, is no match for this a flavorful cabbage saute that goes well with savory chicken sausage. Serve this simple supper with assorted mustards and some toasted rye bread.
- 1 12-ounce package chicken sausage
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
- 1 10-ounce package shredded cabbage, preferably finely shredded
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat until brown on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and apple and cook, stirring constantly, until beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cabbage, vinegar and salt and cook, stirring often, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add cider and caraway seeds; bring to a boil. Return the sausages to the pan, cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sausages are heated through and cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 583 mg sodium; 2222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)