Chicken Sausage with Potatoes & Sauerkraut for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here’s our weeknight version of choucroute garni, “dressed sauerkraut,” made with chicken sausage. The flavor of the dish will vary depending on what type of chicken sausage you choose. We like the taste of roasted garlic sausage or sweet apple sausage in this recipe. And although any type of sauerkraut can be used, we prefer the crisp texture of refrigerated kraut over canned. The recipe serves two. Serve with roasted carrots and some mustard to spread on the sausage.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces (2 links) cooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, pepper, caraway seeds and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 308 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 5 g fiber; 555 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2011