Chicken Sausage with Potatoes & Sauerkraut for Two
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here’s our weeknight version of choucroute garni, “dressed sauerkraut,” made with chicken sausage. The flavor of the dish will vary depending on what type of chicken sausage you choose. We like the taste of roasted garlic sausage or sweet apple sausage in this recipe. And although any type of sauerkraut can be used, we prefer the crisp texture of refrigerated kraut over canned. The recipe serves two. Serve with roasted carrots and some mustard to spread on the sausage.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces (2 links) cooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, pepper, caraway seeds and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 308 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 5 g fiber; 555 mg sodium; 613 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- March/April 2011