Chicken Sausage with Potatoes & Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here’s our weeknight version of choucroute garni, “dressed sauerkraut,” made with chicken sausage. The flavor of the dish will vary depending on what type of chicken sausage you choose. We like the taste of roasted garlic sausage or sweet apple sausage in this recipe. And although any type of sauerkraut can be used, we prefer the crisp texture of refrigerated kraut over canned. Serve with roasted carrots and some mustard to spread on the sausage.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces (4 links) cooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, pepper, caraway seeds and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 295 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 554 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2011