Chicken Sausage with Potatoes & Sauerkraut
From EatingWell: March/April 2011
Here’s our weeknight version of choucroute garni, “dressed sauerkraut,” made with chicken sausage. The flavor of the dish will vary depending on what type of chicken sausage you choose. We like the taste of roasted garlic sausage or sweet apple sausage in this recipe. And although any type of sauerkraut can be used, we prefer the crisp texture of refrigerated kraut over canned. Serve with roasted carrots and some mustard to spread on the sausage.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces (4 links) cooked chicken sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and onion and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add potatoes, sauerkraut, wine, pepper, caraway seeds and bay leaf; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Per serving: 295 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 4 g fiber; 554 mg sodium; 545 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2011