Chicken-Sausage & Kale Stew
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
A splash of vinegar is a long-standing chef's trick for soups. Added just before you serve the soup, vinegar brightens the taste considerably. Use your favorite style of chicken sausage to add variety to this dish.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups kale, torn into bite-size pieces and rinsed
- 2 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups diced cooked potatoes, (see Note), preferably red-skinned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 12-ounce package cooked chicken sausages, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and kale and cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, rosemary and pepper. Cover, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the vegetables are just tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in sausage and vinegar and continue to cook, stirring often, until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Note: Convenient cooked and diced potatoes can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce and/or dairy department of the supermarket.
Per serving: 214 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 40 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 3 g fiber; 346 mg sodium; 689 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (140% daily value), Vitamin C (120% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient